Training at the velodrome is easy - there are plenty of opportunities to join planned sessions or do an introduction to track cycling if you're a newcomer. Costs are minimal, and we have track bikes to rent during the season if needed.
We have a brilliant track coaching team who have a massive wealth of knowledge between them.
Training kicks off from mid-October 2019 and runs to end of March 2020, check the schedule below and stay tuned to Facebook.com/wellington.velodrome for more details.
- The Wellington Sprint Squad have something special up their sleeves this year with an all new Sprint Series on Wednesdays! Full run down and dates will be released shortly. Make sure you attend one of their Monday/Friday training sessions to fine tune those fast twitch muscle fibres.
- Endurance Training kicks off for under 17, under 19 and seniors on 15 October with the first ever Tuesday Speed Shop. This is a loosely pursuit-focused session aimed at riders wanting some free speed. Ride smarter, not harder. ;)
- Thursday nights are all about the art of bunch racing. Pat and Mike have been losing bike races for years and are keen to help the current crop of exciting young under 17 and under 19 trackies learn from their many mistakes! Seniors will get their chance to deconstruct the weekend's racing straight after.
- Gary Gibson's always excellent rookies, and under 11, under 13 and under 15 junior sessions start from the following week, Tuesday 22 October. We're looking forward to watching him develop yet more talent.
- And last but by no means least, Ele Pepperell is continuing her frankly awesome Women's Wednesdays! These are friendly sessions for anyone wanting to improve their bike handling skills and confidence on the velodrome. Ele has created a great community over the last couple of years and we can't wait to see even more women getting track time at the Wellydrome.
Our fleet of hire bikes is available throughout the season, we have sizes suitable for eight-year olds up, and are all dead cheap to rent.
We love getting newcomers onto a bike and riding on the track. Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll arrange a time to meet you. Or click on the link below to find out more.
We've been getting kids onto the velodrome for over a decade, where they can learn cycling skills, racing discipline, play games and have fun.
We've got bikes for eight year olds and up, you just need a helmet! Contact email@example.com.
From mid October to end of March every year we have mulitple velodrome sessions booked exclusively for our use.
Getting onto the track
Seniors are asked to contribute $25 for the season if they use the motorbike for pacing, or the starting gate for standing start practises. These costs go directly to the upkeep of these training tools. Please fill out the online form and make a payment.
Anyone wishing to use the motorbike for pacing MUST read and comply with these guidelines first.
We also have a health and safety policy which can be read here.
There is nothing stopping you using the velodrome outside of these hours if it is unoccupied, however please be aware other clubs (e.g. triathlon or softball) may have booked the track or the infield for their exclusive use.