The Port Nicholson Amateur Cycling Club was formed at a meeting held at the YMCA rooms, Willis Street on the 9th June, 1926. The Poneke Amateur Cycling Club was formed in the early 1930s and the two clubs combined in the late 1960s.
PNP has a proud history at a national level in administration. P N Robinson, who was one of the original members at the Port Nicholson meeting in 1926, was President of the New Zealand Amateur Cycling Association (now Cycling new Zealand) from 1945-57 and was made a life member of the association in 1951.
From the Poneke side Alvin Pennington MBE was President of the Association from 1972-74 and was also made a life member in 1969.
Club stalwart Alan Rice served as Association Treasurer from 1986-87.
These achievements were possibly the backbone for the sporting successes that club members have had.
Current Club Patron, Harry Kent, was New Zealand Sportsman of the Year in 1970, the only cyclist to have won the supreme award. Until 1970, New Zealand had never won a cycling gold medal at the Commonwealth Games. In Edinburgh in 1970 the only two New Zealand gold medals were in cycling – the road race won by Aucklander Bruce Biddle and the kilometre time trial won by Harry in a Games record time. A few weeks later, Harry achieved a greater result when he won the silver medal, New Zealand’s first ever medal, at the world track championships in England.